Monday 13 May 2013

Day 8, Lunch at the Office



One of the things I’ve noticed is that many of the matatus have names on the back window. I’ll try and remember many of the more interesting ones that I see and maybe have a matatu of the week award for the best named. To that currently spring to mind are ‘Drogba’ from Saturday and ‘One Man’s Meat’ from this morning. Many of the names make are non-sensical, they make no sense unless translated from Lugandan.

Around 12ish I had a very pleasant freshly squeezed juice drink from a local lady who comes round a couple of times a week to sell. It was a good mixture of orange and some sweeter fruits probably mango and pineapple. 2,000 UGX (50p) wasn’t bad for this and will definitely have more in the future.

As usual just before 2pm we were called to lunch, it’s very similar to the call to prayer from the local Mosque. The ‘I wonder what’s for lunch’ gag is already wearing a bit thin, I’ll have to change it up somehow. That said there was a good reason for asking as todays plate of matoke, rice, sweet potatoes, beans, and greens (which where green today) was enlivened by the addition of All Gold’s Peri-Peri Sauce.

It made all the difference, making a good but bland meal so much better. There isn’t a huge amount of heat in this sauce which enhances its appeal, plus I have the hot pepper sauce if I want to sweat more than usual.

Because of the juice and the Peri-Peri sauce this one goes all the way to 3, not quite 11, but a good above average meal. The trouble is, the usual staples with Peri-Peri sauce will quickly become the norm after a few more weeks.

Heading off to do some house hunting after work, looking at a 2 bed near to the office that a German couple will be vacating at the end of the month, fingers crossed. I could say that it can’t be worse than the two I’ve already looked at, but I know that is completely false, as there is far, far worse available.

Rolex and mystery meat or salad for dinner, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment