Friday 3 May 2013

Burger Week Part 3 - Patty and Bun, James Street, Tues 5th Mar

And now the long awaited trip to Patty and Bun. I'd heard great things about this place on the burger blogosphere from its time as a van establishment to pop-ups and now more importantly it's permanent residence within spitting distance of Selfridge's, in the popular St. Christopher's Place locale with its varied and extensive food outlet choices, a stone's throw, but a million miles from the aforementioned zombie shopping hordes of Oxford Street.

More importantly Patty and Bun is at the Western end of the 'North of Oxford St' Burger triangle with MEATliquor occupying the Eastern tip and Tommi's the Northern. MEATliquor for instance had a brief appearance in the most recent edition of Food and Drink on BBC2 (11th March). Whilst there are many great places to get a quality burger in London at the moment having three exemplary establishments in literal walking distance has its obvious up- and downsides.

Stephen and I had been trying in vain for many weeks to coordinate a 'Very Important Meeting' at lunch in order to discuss 'Very Important' work matters over a nice burger and fries. Sadly these meetings were always trumped by something more important, so the only solution for us was to establish an 'Extremely Important Meeting' one Tuesday after work.

Due to the extreme importance of this meeting, Stephen and I were hopeful to steal ourselves away from work in Victoria as early as practically possible (after 5, but before 6), in order to get a choice position at the end of the inevitable queue. Sadly this was not to be the case. After offering to help out a couple of colleagues for a few minutes, these minutes quickly ran over an hour. Despite Stephen's impressive miming abilities of eating a burger through the windows separating the North and South wings of the Artillery Row office, I couldn't finish early enough and it wasn't until 5 past 6 that we left the office.

I'd planned numerous potential routes to find the quickest path to the Bond St tube. Based on this we went for the relative slog to Westminster on foot, followed by the 2 stop trip on the Jubilee line to Bond Street. We were making good headway with the surprisingly light foot traffic, and headed easily on to the Parliament Square traffic island. Upon reaching the opposite corner from our ingress, and nearest to the Westminster tube entrance we were dismayed to find a complete lack of pedestrian crossing, no zebras or pelicans in sight. Being the opportunist’s that we are there was a surprising lack of road traffic and we went for it crossing the 3 lanes as quickly as possible.

All was going well until I was startled in the final lane by one of Stephen's and Joe's brothers in arms, a bloody cyclist careering round the corner from Westminster Bridge intent on a collision course. Thankfully my blistering turn of pace aided by adrenaline saw me easily strip clear of Lance Armstrong. From the look of him and given the speed he was going, if there was a collision he'd have been much, much worse off. No doubt Stephen, who was seemingly spared this abuse because of his uniform bike satchel, can comment on the cyclist aspect of this (bike, wheels, gears, whatever...). A short tube ride and an efficient avoidance of the horde to reach the St Christopher's Place ginnel, Stephen and I arrived on James St, heading North to Patty and Bun.

Upon getting within viewing distance of P&B my heart sank. I was fully expecting a sizeable queue, but this one efficiently horseshoed its way from the entrance and was easily as long as any I'd experienced at MEATliquor. This was compounded by P&B's small size, only 30 covers versus MEATliquor’s 150ish. I hope I hid my disappointment from Stephen and with the proper British fortitude set myself at the end of this long but polite queue.

I pegged the queue at around 45 minutes but it could easily have been an hour. Despite this the wait was good, the weather was suitably mild, and snatching fragments of other queuer’s and passer’s by conversations were entertaining, but unmemorable. Most memorable was when one of the P&B staff emerged from the small establishment to take down names and numbers to aid future table placement. Much to Stephen's and my amusement (and no-one else’s) when asked for a name we answered Ste(v)/(ph)en in unison and we were duly recorded on the clipboard as Stephen (2).

Upon entering P&B, I was absolutely parched, a lament of mine that Stephen had suffered since leaving the office. After sitting down and already knowing what we wanted to order, the wait to catch the attention of the busy staff was interminable. Eventually we got one of the hipster serving staff's attention and ordered a Red Stripe thirst quencher each, and knowing it would go down quickly an ale who's name now escapes me. The Red Stripe was without a doubt the greatest Red Stripe I had ever drunk. That said my previous experience of Red Stripe is very, very poor, and I think the last time I drank it I got pulled over and breathalysed (only the one can so was well under the limit). Despite my prior poor experiences with Red Stripe this bottle was Manna from Heaven, although I'll happily chalk that up to the situation rather than the quality of the beer.

On top of the order of liquid lubrication I went for the 'Ari Gold' burger with bacon, Stephen the 'Smokey Robinson' both accompanied by Rosemary salted triple cooked skin on ships. After my reading good reviews about them we supplemented this order with the 'Winger winger chicken dinner' chicken wings.

After polishing off the first beer the food arrived all at once. I tried a couple of the chips, they were good, very good in fact and I have no compunctions in recommending them, although I am more of a fry fan myself. Not sure why, but I've always had a thing for French fries over proper chips.

Having sated the initial hunger it was on to the wings. Oh... My... God.... I'm not he biggest wings fan, but these were the best I have eaten so far. They were confit chicken wings that takes P&B a day and a half to cook. The skin was so crisp without being dry and the meat fell off the bone, a quick twist of the wings allowed me to remove the bones intact and eat the rest of the wing intact. And there was the reduced BBQ sauce. It was the most rich, thick smoky with a good source of heat sauce I've tasted. It had a hint of hoi sin about it as well which couple with the sliced spring onion worked wonderfully. P&B should produce this sauce mass market, it's the next Reggae Reggae Sauce.

Working our way systematically through the chips and superb wings it was on to the burger. I'd order the top of the bill 'Ari Gold' with bacon. This only differed from Stephen's choice in the onions. His had caramelised onions, mine had pickled onions (in the Korean style rather than the British style). Both came on the same Brioche bun with cheese, bacon, smoky P&B Mayo and salad. Ari Gold for those not familiar with the US TV show Entourage is one of the most entertaining and memorable TV characters, one that you will vicariously enjoy watching. Ari Gold was played by Jeremy Piven, who has recently been on screen playing the part of Mr Selfridge. Coincidence? Absolutely.

After taking my first bite, I knew I was on to something amazing. I'd heard some bad things about the bottom part of the brioche bun, but it had held itself up well and overall it was a great slightly sweet bun. This was wonderfully counterpointed by the sour of the pickled onion, then the smoky-ness of the Mayo. The patty itself was superb, well on a par with most of the patty's I've tasted, but very, very slightly behind the chunky steakiness of Tommi's steak burger. The cheese at P&B, like at MEAT was steamed inside a metal cloche on a solid griddle to give it a wonderful all over coating, This was my one disappointment at Tommi’s as they use a slighted grill to cook the patty and as such the cheese is melted rather than steamed.

All in all a resplendent 4.5 out of 5 (sorry I've had to revert to half marks). The only thing stopping it from getting a 5 is the wait and I'd happily eat those wings forever, like Homer eating donuts for eternity in Hell.

Burger Week to be continued - Part 4, Lucky Chip @ the Player Bar, Broadwick St, Soho, London, Thurs 7th Mar

P.S. 1,475 

No comments:

Post a Comment